Saturday, April 9, 2011

braxton hicks

Throughout the weeks preparing for a cross-country move I realized that I should start making lists. Things I need for the drive, for the first few months. How embarrassing to look at the essentials that you need, when there are only 3 things other than clothes on the list. Computer, Guitar, and...shit I can't think of the third thing. Brutal.

Fortunately I awoke to a wonderful day. Not because I have to stay out of my house while strangers pile through making comments about the stuff I've compiled. And not because I've traded in my afternoon nap for a pint and some wings, but because it's actually a beautiful day. The one thing about living in a winter wasteland is that when the weather breaks, and breaks for good, it can be an amazing revitalization of the soul. Other than those weirdos that claim to "Love" winter, the rest of us power through Seasonal Adjustment Disorder. Locked in a frostbitten world. Our cars are salt covered, our grass has been burnt by snow in some oxymoronic twist.
But then...

One day it's different. We're weary because there are a few teases along the way. A few days in which we don't have zip our jackets to the chin, or wear the second pair of gloves. But then it happens. You run to the car in just a long sleeve and you don't die. You open the door to get the morning paper without the fear that your nuts will lift inside you gullet. All of a sudden you have hope again. Hope that you'll be able to enjoy being outside without being bundled up like the Randy Parker from A Christmas Story. You wash your car, you clean up the dog shit, and garbage off your lawn because the snows melted. It's a new day.

Torontians have the same feeling each year, and the rebirth is a welcome change each spring. In the west coast we didn't have such distinct seasons. It never got super cold, and the ocean prevented the super hot. But southern Ontario draws clear lines in the sand. Today was that first day in what will be many, in which the warmth, humidity and sunshine begin to usurp winter's bone. It's the first day in which you nap with the window open. That cool breeze feathers your toes as you dream of snow capped mountains, the sunset over the ocean, and as much vegetarian food as one can get. (I can't wait to get to Vancouver!!) I'm glad that had a day like this before I left. It was inevitable, but just as the years before this one, I forget about it until it happened. In the same fashion that I try an educate people about how to behave in public, I hope to infuse a small amount of Toronto into the Vancouverites who loathe the Big Smoke. Especially the ones that have never been here. I know I've been spewing shit about Vancouver to the people here that think it rains everyday but three on the wet coast.

As I waste time between lunch and work, I realize I'd be foolish if I didn't take these next few weeks to revel the things I love here. It's like a break up, there are always going to be things that you love still, even if you're getting back with your ex after all these years. Of course the people mean everything. Even now, as I unsocially type this at a crowded bar, a beautiful friend\ waitress\ and possible gift bag thief, reminds me that she hates me, but will miss me. She's one of these gorgeous girls that knows and likes my wife so much,  she dismisses my every advance. I'll miss her too. I've been getting a lot of the "I hate you, but congratulations" It's a wonderfully complicating show of respect and flattery....I hope.

I've said that I would blog about the change, the newness of being back home, but I'm going to be sure to remember all of the things here that have been so memorable. There is no doubt that there's plenty I'll miss. Plenty I'll wish I could be doing. Not to mention the friends that I associate with events, dates and places. In two weeks I begin another chapter in my life, with old friends and new family. If May 2nd, my first day of school, is the true rebirth, today was a pretty serious kick.

No comments: