Monday, February 21, 2011

Family Dayz

  When I awoke this morning I feared the events of the rest of the day. You see it's Family Day and everyone is taking the day off to entertain their children with skating, cotton candy and a severe intake of soda. Driving downtown to partake in some clown festival, or scouring the things to do on family day in your particular town. It's nice that the government has designated a day for people to have to give the nanny the day off and spend time together. Even though the nanny is probably back at home doing your laundry. Awww, parenting! I've often wondered why people have nannies when their kids are so small. That's the time you want to hang out with them, and more importantly, they wanna hang out with you. It's slowly slipping away, and my oldest is only 6! My problem with days such as these is expectations that people put on the one day's events. It's never going to reach them. There's also the part that effects me...some of us have to work these so called holidays!

  For the most part people are respectful of the workers that have to work during special occasions, but we in the service world don't remember them. We only remember the assholes that bitch and complain, and then say, "well this whole family day is ruined!!"  So even though your idiot kid spilled ice cream down his pants, and your oldest played PS3 the entire time, the speed of your salad getting to your table has ruined the day? Write a letter.

 Perhaps all service industries should take down the personal information of all their customers. Then at the end of the night we can sit around and decide that we are going to write a letter to them about their behaviour at the restaurant...

 Dear Mr and MRS Jones,

  Last night you came into the ______ restaurant and I was your server. My experience serving you was one of the worst I ever had, and I've been working in this business for ten years. First of all, when I arrived at the table and introduced myself you all ignored me. It's bad enough that I have to work here while I'm putting myself through school, I don't need to be humiliated by strangers. When I listed the beers we have on tap you asked for three that we don't have, and followed up your inquiry with the phrase, "are you sure". Having been an employee here for the past two years, I'm certain of what we have and what we don't have. After deciding on your entree, and not helping your kids order, you snapped you finger to remind me that you had ordered a salad first. These salads are not pre-made for you, they are made once we punch the order in on the computer. Also you weren't the only person ordering salad so the three minutes it took shouldn't be a surprise. On that same subject, you continually told me incorrect times you had been waiting. While at the door, for salads, for desserts wasn't as long as you think it was, you're just extremely impatient. I can see why, because your kids were so jacked up on chocolate milk that they were borderline out of control. After your meals had come and I came to check on you, nobody acknowledged me again. There was barely a nod as you shovelled pasta down your throat at a dangerous speed. Only holding up your empty bread basket with a shrug which I assumed meant you were done. You informed me while ordering your wife's 10th diet cola that you actually wanted more, but it didn't matter now that you were done. You swilled back the last of your third pint, while your wife packed every scrap on the table into a take-out container. Although judging by the mess on the floor there was not much. Soon we were arguing about the prices of the beer, you had a lovely story about how cheap they are at the strip bar you frequent. Your wife is very lucky. As I explained the pricing you claimed, "not to give a shit about other people, only what happens to you." You have very lucky children as well. In the end, even though your kids ate for free, I let you drive home when I should've called the police, and you embarrassed everyone at the table but yourself, you didn't tip because we make enough money off the high prices(which I don't set) and the profit of booze(which I don't see). This experience will be with me for quite a while and because of that, I never want to serve you again. The manager and owner feel the same way, so you're not welcome to come back here.

I look forward to your response

No comments: