Thursday, March 24, 2011

ch..ch..changes

Well, I guess it's time to unleash the news...

For the past few weeks I have found myself writing very cryptic blogs, and intense ones over at http://www.cmagnet.blogspot.com/ for the equivalent of writers training. I knew that keeping up the pace words would keep me sharp for any kind of career as writer. I have to learn how to get the little ones some food and throw on Dora the Explorer, but still have the concentration to pen a few lines. The excitement has been building to this...

I have been accepted into the writing program at Vancouver Film School starting May 2nd. This was an opportunity that I had no choice but to take. All the factors became talking points in my house, but ultimately the smartest person in my household, said that I had to go. (you're welcome!) My lovely partner in crime and passion knows how important this is for me, and what a wonderful show of support. Of course this is not without it's challenges. First lets look at the upside...
 1)- I'm going home. As many of you know, I love Vancouver and have missed it's sunsets, and spring rainfall for many years. When I first moved to Toronto, I thought I'd never leave. It was late night parties, night club bartending, and beautiful babies everywhere. Sunday afternoon Blue Jays games, drinking beers on the Black Bull patio...then you have a few kids, move to the burbs, and the luster starts to fade. When the Maple Leafs fired Pat Quinn things changed. I went back to my first and true love(The Vancouver Canucks) A few years back I went back to Van for a friends wedding and it was affair rekindled. I was quickly reminded of the times when I was young. It was beautiful
2) Going to a program that has had success with it's graduates in Film\TV is exciting. It's been a long time since I've been in school, but I think these previous years can only be an asset when you are writing. After all, you need the stories to be authentic, and I can talk the shit out most people! That's years of bartending put to practical use. It's also the right path for someone to pay me to ramble on (hopefully!)
3) the Canucks are the number one team in the NHL, and I'll be standing on the parade route that I missed last year during the Olympics. The hockey gods are gonna make it up to me
4) change is good

The downside is shorter, but way scarier

1)I'm going to have to leave for May 2nd, T and the kids won't be able to come out until mid-June. That's a lot of time away from my little babies. I'm stressed just thinking about it. I need to man-up, I know that true heroic people go away to a bomb riddled Afghanistan away from there kids! I've got SKYPE and all the Starbucks I can ingest. It'll be fine. Right? RIGHT?!
2) They're coming out for summer vacation, but are coming back in September. Leaving me in BC to finish the program. Mornings with the little man....playing MarioKart with Elizabeth, all put on hold. (I'm starting to sweat) Its for a better opportunity in life...right?
3)T's support. I know it sounds cheesy, but few understand the idiosyncratic, neuritic, fucked-up behavior I display on a day to day basis. We always support each other, and without that person within reach, I'm afraid my craziness might reach extended beard, Mohawk, sparkly nail polish level.

Overall I'm very excited. I've been keeping this secret for a few weeks, and it's been really hard, but today it's become real. I've put my notice in at a job full of wonderful people. They're a little mad I'm leaving, but encourage my decision. It's always hard when you have to leave people that you truly like. In a transient business like restaurants and bars, it's tough. Good people come and go, but I hope that my memories will always be there. It' been 13 years that I've lived in Ontario, and some of the most important parts of my life began and flourished here. Originally, I left because I was unable to handle the death of my mother and the reaction around me. Yesterday, on what would've been her 60th birthday, I put my house up for sale to fund school and my move. I hope that I'm making her proud.

I know that I wrote before a mock thank you to everyone that ever supported my writing, suggesting that I would become a Hollywood prick, and forget everyone. It's simply not true. I was blessed with a wonderful memory, and one that recalls specific situations of flattery. If my life takes a course in which I am bestowed an honor in any way, I hope to honor all you that have supported me, with a  personal thank you.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be very busy, and may not have the time to make post, but they will continue. Especially once I get back West. I'm also disabling my Facebook security in order to curb any misinformation about the coming changes, but you can still leave me messages, or comments on the blog.(I already heard that T and I were getting a divorce)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The GTAs loss is Entertainment's gain. While we have not shared drinks in recent years the way we used to, this blog has often evoked the same feelings of those days: A lot of listening to a passionate person ramble :).

You are and will be missed. I only hope we can take in one more Blue Jays game before you Ramble On!

Flower said...

I couldn't be any happier for you :) and I expected no different...we expected long ago that the day would finally come. My memories of you will always be you walking around the main floor of Murphy's Law with your coffee cup, sitting at the bar ranting with Evil and sitting across the road in the park with your walkie talkie waving at me on the Rooftop patio laughing :)
Good stuff, buddy....and yes, you will be on the parade route this year. GO VAN GO!!!!!!!