Wednesday, October 12, 2011

can I give you some advice?


The other day I was looking for a Burger King for a Whopper. I didn't quite know where it was and ended up in a strip mall. I stopped at a crosswalk and waited for an older lady to cross. The parking lot was empty, and it was Sunday morning. I looked around for the BK sign, but had clearly taken a wrong turn.

Then something weird happened.

The lady that crossed stopped after she got to the other side and was saying something. I rolled down my window and heard, "I looked over to thank you, but you weren't even looking in my direction. You didn't even see me."

Are you fucking kidding me? I replied to her, "Of course I saw you. That's why I stopped." She shrugged and waved me off. "Look lady, If you're not laying in the parking lot gasping for air then I fuckin saw you. I didn't know that I was obligated to acknowledge your thank you."

I don't have a lot of complaints about my new\old home, but there's one thing kinda gettin me. It's the influx of people offering to tell me about everything. This lady upset that I didn't see her "thank you"? What kind of insecurities are you dealing with, when you need to be validated after thanking someone.

While telling this story to another Vancouverite, they commented that I shouldn't feed my children fast food. Now I dont' want to get off on rant here, but I think I'm done with people without kids wanting to give me advice about parenting. It's nice that you think that you know better with no frame of reference, and I'm sure I was the same...actually no I wasn't. I didn't know a thing about kids and had no intention of learning.

 People constantly tell me what we should do, buy, and teach our children. So the next time I'm at the mall and you see me(or any other parent) and I look like shit. I'm half asleep, and have been amassing nickels from the car to buy some shit from a candy machine that my three year old has been yelling about for two hours. By the way, that three year old is soaking wet because the diaper shift when he was kicking me in the nuts while I tried to buckle his seatbelt. The seat of my car is forever damaged because this happens all the time. That pee has mixed with the numerous kinds of cereal that he likes to throw at me when I'm driving. So, I pretty much feel like I pay $400 a month so that my kids can destroy it. I've been up for seven hours and it's 11:00am, because the older one had a climbed into bed with me, but slept upside down and filled my mouth with her feet.

I don't know if it's the title of "One of the Best cities in the world" that give some people in the 604 the right to constantly give their opinion. It's as if the some sort of commentary is in titled to all that reside.
 "The lights are to bright on BC Place."

 "We want bike lanes, but not those bike lanes."

It's answering the question that has not been asked. So let me join in...

It's okay to be a little rough around the edges for a city. I don't want to wait in line to get into a bar, then wait in line at the bar. My service shouldn't be based on my turn, it should be based on how much I tip.
 Also, just because it's sunday doesn't mean that the entire world has the day off, so speed up when your walking.
Finally, any "Advice" about what coffee I drink, car I drive, or food I eat, that is not accompanied with the funds to heed your suggestion, will not taken!!


PS- I agree that the referees hate the Canucks!

No comments: