Sunday, October 23, 2011

celebrate life


    I started this morning off by coffee with the bio-parents. It was a little rough because all I really wanted to do was sleep. I've come to realize that these two little monsters will never let that happen. Talking with Bio-Mom reminds me that this life started out with her having to make brave choices at a young age. It was 1973 and to have a child out of wedlock, or any alternatives including being a single mother was exceptionally difficult. Fortunately (for me) she decided to have me, then allow another family to take me in. It's tough not to thank my lucky stars for the chance I've been given. It wasn't the easiest start for me, but it's been hard for  many others. I think that I'm aware of it, is the thing that motivates me. Constantly reminding myself that I can do more. I'm trying to harness my exuberance for telling stories into a career, to raise my kids in a loving and open household. Not drink so much!

The lesson today was, "you are here for a reason." I'm not smart enough to know why, but I know that. I spent a long time being suspicious of the phrase everything happens for reason, because it didn't seem realistic. Even if I don't necessarily believe it, I can certainly accept that it may be possible. It took a shitload of circumstances to land me on this planet, and a shitload more to get me to today. If anything, I should show those occurrences some respect. Even though I have been accused of egotism, narcissism, and a few other isms, I'm harder on myself than anyone. I believe that I owe the people that have aided my maturity(or lack of).

I know...Deep

The reason I'm delving into this is because of the rest of my day was at a Celebration of Life ceremony for my friend Tyler Wright. Last year Tyler went hiking in Squamish and did not return. For weeks the Search and Rescue did their diligence through the forest looking for signs, but eventually called it off. It's no fun having to see familiar faces, and old friends under such duress. Having to share pain and smiles in the same sentence. I did what I usually do. Make jokes, try and make people laugh. It's not because I don't know how to deal with death, its because I'm more articulate with this keyboard, and a cold beer. I wish I didn't have a history of seeing death around me. but I do.

I know how much easier it is for us to categorize people after they're gone, but I can sincerely say that Tyler was special. Tyler had an infectious personality, and truly moved everyone that he touched. All you had to do was hear one story from today and watch everyone in the room nod simultaneously. We all knew the language, the energy, and the exuberance of Tyler. As a kid I was jealous of his ability to be involved in any situationn with such ease. There was a genuine quality that you hoped would rub off on you. In 1990 I was in a car accident with six other people, one of which was Tyler's sister. When the doors of the ambulance opened Tyler's was the first face I saw. There was comfort in that. His eyes were wide and red as he watched us all being carted in the ER. He Nodded to me with a reassurance that I'll never forget. The last time I saw Ty was about seven years ago at Wayne Gretzky's restaurant. I turned around after hearing someone say "Hrushowy?" Nobody in Toronto ever called me that, so I immediatly reacted.  His big looming smile,a blue afro and those gigantic feet. I wish I'd seen him more over the past years. I wish I had five more minutes to say five more things.

I love the phrase Celebration of Life. It is concise and perfect.

Make sure you do more of it. Yours and the lives of the people around you.

No comments: